iOS 11 is changing how you interact with the world.
September 12, 2017, in the Steve Jobs Theater in Apple Park, Apple CEO Tim Cook kicked off the 10th Anniversary of the iPhone, and released three new iPhones, Apple Watch 3, Apple TV 4K, and announced the latest changes found in iOS 11.
The iPhone 8 and 8 Plus, are much like their younger siblings 7 & 7 Plus. However, one of the most significant changes is the glass front and back, described as the most durable ever used in a smartphone, and they are now “microscopically sealed” for dust and water resistance. Interactive features include speakers that are 25% louder, 12-megapixel camera, lighting capabilities for “portrait mode.”
The iPhone X (pronounced “iPhone 10”) transforms the iPhone experience. With no home button, users now swipe up. Waking up is as easy as a tap. Unlocking simply requires looking at the screen, and don’t worry if your face changes. Face ID will work if you get new glasses or grow a beard. Face ID also allows you to create Animojis, “custom animated messages that use your voice and reflect your facial expressions.”
These three phones are the first iPhones to support wireless charging using Qi wireless charging technology. Not sure what Qi is? Read more about it here. All three devices support augmented reality software.
iOS 11 is released for download on September 19, 2017 (the beta version is already available via request). iOS 11 is performance optimized for 64-bit apps. 32-bit apps will need to be updated by the app developer to work with this version of iOS.
iOS 11 Features include:
- Do Not Disturb while Driving – this iOS 11 setting automatically silences all notifications while driving, and keeps the iPhone silent, display off, and allows an optional iMessage auto reply to alert selected contacts that you are driving. What if you really need to get in contact with someone? You can enter the word “urgent” to break through the Do Not Disturb feature.
- Have a coffee or baby in one hand? Enable the one-handed keyboard. The keyboard can either be right or left-sided to enable “one thumb” typing.
- Not only has the icon changed, the App Store is completely redesigned with a new look and feel. The “New Today” shares new apps and games, how-to guides, “try something new,” “now trending,” and more.
- Siri even got an upgrade. Not only does Siri have a more expressive voice, English words and phrases can now be translated into Chinese, French, German, Italian or Spanish.y Siri also works with notes, helps create to-do lists, banking apps, and some dictation.
- Camera and Photos now allow you to filter for natural skin tones, loop, bounce, and create long exposure images. Memory Movies automatically adapt content for portrait or landscape orientation. Animated GIFs are also supported.
- Maps. Welcome to indoor maps for airports and shopping centers. No longer do you drive up to a college campus or mall or airport only to find out that Starbucks location is buried deep inside behind security or other easy-access barriers.
- Augmented Reality in iOS 11 is now supported to deliver content on top of real-world scenes for interactive gaming, immersive shopping experiences, industrial design, and more.
- The new Control Center captures all of your controls on one page versus the current two. You can custom control settings for accessibility, text size, wallet, and more.
- Interact with friends on Apple Music. Create a profile so friends can listen to playlists you’ve shared.
- Accessibility now allows VoiceOver descriptions for support for images, tables and lists in PDFs, spoken and Braille caption support for videos, dynamic type, and redesigned inverted colors for easier media content viewing.
- Need to pay a babysitter or make any other quick payment? Apple Pay now has that feature. You will be able to send and receive money from friends and family right in Messages or ask Siri.
iOS 11 is making your iPhone and iPad more powerful, personal, and intelligent. These new features will allow you to get more done faster.
iOS 11 is compatible with:
iPhone X, iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone SE, iPhone 5s, 12.9-inch iPad Pro, 2nd generation
12.9-inch iPad Pro, 1st generation, 10.5-inch iPad Pro, 9.7-inch iPad Pro, iPad Air 2, iPad Air, iPad, 5th generation, iPad mini 4, iPad mini 3, iPad mini 2, iPod touch, 6th generation